Data Center Capacity Planning Services
Capacity Planning: Managing the Glass House
Today, most companies are struggling to manage the power and space within their data centers due to rapid business growth and changes in technology that are putting pressure on existing infrastructure staff and often insufficient deployment processes. In many cases, companies can’t quantify or forecast their power, cooling and space requirements and therefore, can’t manage the increasing changes and demand, and then come up short at the worst possible time.
Data center capacity planning is a lost art requiring a unique blend of IT and facilities management experience that is often lacking in the small to medium sized data centers or where firms have turned to co-location companies in an effort to get out of the data center business. Although some companies are turning to DCIM solutions to address this need, the cost and effort to implement these complex software tools prevents companies from quickly getting to a point where they are accurately forecasting and managing their space and power. That’s why ICS has developed a capacity planning service that can meet your day-to-day business needs or can be used “on demand” to address a specific unique business need such as:
- Estimating the data center requirements for a proposed business acquisition as input to cost models
- Identifying the requirements for acquiring co-location services (“Co-lo Quick Specs”)
- Estimating the requirements for establishing a DR site
- Evaluating the power/space impact of technology upgrades
Our ongoing, recurring Capacity Planning as a Service (CPaaS) is flexible based on your business needs. Services can be provided at various frequencies (monthly, semi-annually, etc.) to improve the overall health of your data center.
- Effective equipment deployment
- Rack remediation (to reclaim space/power)
- Cost reductions (power/cooling)
- Redundancy and Availability